If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (631) 585-0007

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Holiday Electrical Safety Tips All Homeowners Should Know

11/21/2022 (Permalink)

5 Holiday Electrical Safety Tips

The holidays are a time for family, friends, and fun. But they’re also a time when home electrical safety should be on everyone’s mind. From stringing up holiday lights to cooking large family meals, there are plenty of opportunities for things to go wrong and spark a fire. 

The Suffolk County fire damage repair and restoration professionals at SERVPRO of Ronkonkoma have put together this list of holiday electrical safety tips every homeowner should know.

1. Check Your Lights Before You Plug Them In

Look for frayed wires, broken sockets, and loose connections. If you find any damaged areas, throw the strand away and replace it with a new one. Also, make sure to keep all light strands away from water. This includes using extension cords rated for outdoor use if you need to string your lights along the outside of your home.

2. Avoid Using Nails or Tacks to Keep Lights in Place

Avoid using nails or tacks to secure them in place when putting up holiday decorations. Instead, use hooks or other fasteners that won’t damage the wiring in your walls. And be careful not to overload outlets by plugging in too many decorations at once.

3. Be Mindful of Overloading Your Circuits When Cooking

When cooking holiday meals, avoid overloading your circuits by plugging in too many appliances at a time. If you’re using a slow cooker, electric skillet, or any other portable device, make sure to unplug it when you’re finished cooking and before stepping out of the house. And never leave food cooking unattended — not even for a minute!

4. Be Cautious When Using Space Heaters and Fireplaces

Be mindful of space heaters and fireplaces during the colder months. Keep space heaters at least three feet away from anything that can burn, including curtains, furniture, and clothing. And make sure to turn off space heaters and blow out candles before going to bed or leaving the house.

5. Have Your Home’s Electrical Work Inspected

Have your home’s electrical system inspected by a licensed professional every few years to ensure everything is up to code and working correctly. This is especially important if you live in an older home with outdated wiring.

Suffolk County Fire Damage Repair and Restoration Services

If your home sustains a fire, SERVPRO of Ronkonkoma is here to help. Our trained team of fire damage remediation specialists understands the sensitivity of this unfortunate situation; we can help bring your humble abode back to its original state in a timely and efficient manner.

To speak with a member of our friendly team, contact us today at (631) 585-0007 for more information.

Other News

View Recent Posts